Turn The Knobs On Your Soft Synths ( Free Sound Kit)

Posted by Ms.Tris On September - 10 - 2008

What’s up to all this morning?…hope you are preparing to work on some hits. I’ve been up early, and I’m starting on a new beat. I was fiddling with the malstrom, trying to come up with a new sound. I thought, great idea for a post ,and a good time for a couple free sounds, freshly crafted. 🙂 This isn’t a tutorial, but some tips from me to you.

This is my starting idea for the beat…”Sept Crunk Beat2 Start”

I am using Reason, but the same techniques can be used in Fl Studio, or hardware

The quick arrangement goes something like this:

I started with strings for the chord progression F, Gm, and Am

I’ve tweaked my kick changing the pitch and layering 2,(using two different kicks instead of one)

Loaded a clap, and a snare and changed the pitch on each, and layered them as well.

Next I loaded up two “Malstrom” synth modules for a Synth type bass line and melody.

Last I added a piano for more variation.

The piano and strings are Reason factory sounds, every thing else I tweaked using the knobs on the sound modules and redrum. This is a major plus when using software synths and vst instruments. You can tweak the parameters to come up with unique sounds. The help files and manuals are your friend when it comes to adjusting the presets or starting from scratch.

In the picture above I have placed arrows on the various areas I tweaked to make my bass type synth, and melody sounds. For the drums, again, I ” twisted the knobs” on the Redrum to change the “pitch”.

“Sept Crunk Beat 2 Start” Bass line,Melody, and Drums that I tweaked

You’ll hear that my sounds are similar to those used in today’s “pop/crunk” style hip hop, yet different. The kick sounds more like a “drum-n- bass” style kick, the snare clap mix is odd, and the synths are zoid like. The Neptunes are famous for tweaking sounds, a long with many producers of techno, and house music. It has become more and more popular in hip hop when making the “dirty south” style beats.

Get creative with it. Some soft synths allow you to load your own wav files. You could record yourself humming a note, load that into your production software/hardware, tweak it, and use your voice as an instrument. Sound design is an extensive subject, but you can start today by twisting and tweaking the many knobs….

Here is the mini kit from the beat above including that new crazy kick …enjoy and Happy Beat Making..
MsBass Synth f-f whitekeys3 octaves
MsSynth c-c whitekeys 2octaves
MsKck Loud
MsSnr Loud
MsHat Loud

Free Download :
mstris-mini-kit1
Pz Til Later

20 Responses to “Turn The Knobs On Your Soft Synths ( Free Sound Kit)”

1. Bankhead says:

Sup? I just got reasons 4.0 and FL 8. Im trying to learn all i can about both of them. To me it’s a little bit easier with reasons. I’m trying to make it easy with FL. do you have a website or anything with more videos?

Hey man I thought I posted an answer the other day, don’t know what happened….
    This is actually the only tutorial site I have.
    Both Fl and Reason are fairly easy once you get past the initial fundamentals. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up…. I can help you get going in no time..ps I got your email didn’t want to have it up here because you could get spammed like crazy…but I have it.
    Thanks for commenting ..come back often 🙂 pz til later

3. Hustle says:

its dope……….
    Hook mi up with sum tips on fl studio

Hey Hustle…welcome to the site..there are tons of post on Fl Studio here..take sometime look around..hit me up if you need specific help. Thanks for leaving a comment..pz til later

5. DJ PMV says:

yo i need help making a nice dirty south pitched snare roll!!!

Whats up Dj PMV…thanks for visiting the site and leaving a comment.

Here’s a link to the snare roll tutorial..hope this helps..stay up and pz til later

Dirty South Snare Rolls

7. Suezar says:

What’s goody… needed a lil help tryna make a bassline. know of any good sounds or kits i could use?

Hey Suezar, I like to use Vst Instruments for basslines… check out the Novation Bass Station
    Heres a short post about it:vst instruments novation bass station

Thanks for commenting…come back soon..pz til then

9. Suezar says:

appreciate it.. I’m looking for a reggae bassline too.. haven’t checked the site yet, but i’m gonna look right after I post this.

Hey Suezar thats a good idea! I haven’t done a lot on basslines but great idea for a future post…. subscribe so you’ll stay updated ..Thanks for commenting…pz til later

11. DJ Joe says:

Hey…Im new in Fl studio so i need a lil help,i need to know what vst synths should i use for hip hop?

12. Josh-925 says:

I’m tryna make a Dirty South beat but I can’t find any Synth or good Dirty South sounds. I wanna find a good kit with a bunch in it so I can make a DJ Khaled type beat, for free! =) if anyone can help me out that would be coo, thanks.

Whats up Josh…I’ve had a lot of good questions over the weekend each one deserves a post..I’ll hook it up over the next few days check back for some goodies all about dirty south sounds..thanks for commenting

@ Dj Joe..thanks for commenting. With hiphop it’s up to you actually..what sounds good, etc.. I’ll be doing a post about different sounds for hip hop by Friday..check back by the end of the week…

15. DJ Joe says:

Ok ty 😀

16. Suezar says:

ms.tris what up… I was looking for some xylophone chords or something similar, any ideas??

Hey Suezar..what are you using to produce your music?? Then I can link you to the sounds

18. Suezar says:

My fault I took so long.. I use FL Studio 7 and 8.

19. Suezar says:

I did respond, but I guess my computer was a lil slow in POSTING my response, so I apologize. I use FL studio 7 and 8

Hey Suezar.. I was wondering what happened to ya..:-).. I love the Novation Bass Station… I’ll add a few more free bass vst links in a post for ya sometime next week..stay tuned til then.. pz til later