Fl Studio 8: Recording With Computer Keyboard

Posted by Ms.Tris On June - 25 - 2008

I’m planning on selling my Edirol Md-16 mixer, and I had to disconnect some equipment to do so. My midi controllers are off, and I feel like making some fire…I mean extreme heat to upload here…….
Have no fear Fl Studio is here 😉 …
There is a lot of power in the program, and Fl Studio has a function that allows you to use your typing keyboard as a midi controller.

It’s an easy thing to accomplish if you don’t have an external midi controller or if you are using a laptop. Here are 3 ways to activate this function.

1. Hit ( Ctrl+T) and activate the keyboard

2. Look for the icon of the “Typing Keyboard”, and click the small square to the left to activate the keyboard.

Keyboard Icon

3. Go to options, scroll down to “switches”, activate “Enable MIDI remote control” and ” Typing keyboard to piano”

Go To Options Panel

*–>”Typing Keyboard to Piano” – When selected, your typing keyboard will function as a MIDI (musical) keyboard. Right-click the LED to select the base octave for mapping the keyboard keys.< --this is instructions from Fl help file** See The Typing keyboard to piano in action:Master M.-Making a Dirty South Style Beat on FL Studio 8

There you have it! Pretty cool huh?….
** update: to record what you play you will have to push both the”record(the dot) and play( the triangle)” buttons.**
Happy Beat Making To All…
Pz Til Later~..

105 Responses to “Fl Studio 8: Recording With Computer Keyboard”

1. Rooky_Beater says:

thanks a lot

i was looking for this since a long time!!!

great!

2. Raja says:

a i can press 1 button and one sound comes out but wen i try to pretend like im playn da piano its doest work can u send me a another turtorial on doin dat

3. Raja says:

is it juss for laptops or computers?

Hey Raja Thanks for stopping by…Once you load a sound into the sampler channel you should be able to play it from the typing keyboard starting with the numbers “2” through the “shift” key. It may skip a few keys, but you will have about 4 octaves to play the sound…

and this works both on Desktop Pc and Laptop… if you need more help let me know

5. Jessy says:

I like your tutorial, but how can I put it into a piano roll?

Whats up Jessy…You just right click on the channel and select “Piano Roll”, push record and use your typing keyboard like a midi controller. What ever you play will be recorded into the piano rolll

7. Jessy says:

Ty man!

8. Mike says:

the first time I did this it asked me what I wanted to record, then it made some funky noises when I did record. Now it won’t enter the notes I press onto the piano roll at all. What did I screw up?

Hey Mike..I’m gonna see what could have happened…be right back
    ..okay..
    Hmnn I’m not sure what you could have done. Try to make sure the only thing lit “orange” is the typing keyboard icon.Typing keyboard Icon fl Studio 8 That should do the trick. When you are using the typing keyboard, you won’t see the notes up on the piano roll until you stop recording..

10. William says:

ummm I’ve been looking how to do this for a long time… and everyone says the same thing. yet I do this and when I press a key on my keyboard nothing happens… I just was thinking maybe it’s becuase my keybaord is a usb keyboard… would this effect it? please reply I really want to do this. I have that option enabled I’m 100% absolutley positive.

Hey William, what type of usb keyboard are you using? Maybe I can help you figure it out

12. William says:

I really have no clue… it’s just a usb keybaord thats all I know… and it has a bunch of buttons on it I never use like sound control, internet browser control, explorer controls, and system controls, like turn off computer. the sound controls just work for programs that play music it alters the volume and play/skip stuff.

13. William says:

oh wait, I got it to work some how… thanks.

Yaay for you William , I was wondering if you were still trying to make it happen…Happy beat making to ya and let me know if you need help with anything..pz til later

15. DJ Bonez says:

hi, when i try to record it asks me what do i want to record

What’s up Dj Bonez ..thanks for commenting…this technique is making the keyboard you type on a midi controller,try going back over the the steps above.. I’m not sure why that message pops up…

17. NovA says:

its not working for me also its usb keyboard…

Hey Nova…Do you have the drivers installed for your typing keyboard?…Try using the steps above in Fl Studio. Close Fl Studio, disconnect your Typing keyboard…reconnect the keyboard( you should hear the little connect sound “ding ding” if using windows)…Then restart Fl Studio be sure all the settings above are set..and it may work now…if not let me know…

19. Will says:

how do I assign keys to the different things (the layers or w/e they’re called) in the step sequencer? I press keys and ‘Q’ is the only one that makes the C5 in piano roll sound when one layer is highlighted…know what I mean?

so yeah how do I assign them?

20. Will says:

not layers but channels
    =) sorry

Whats up Will..thanks for taking time to comment. Try re-doing the steps above. When you load a .wav file into a channel, it will automatically play chromatically (up and down the keyboard octave to octave. Try right clicking on the “typing keyboard icon” and select “C4”..this should work…

22. Thanks for the help (you are so patient with people!!:)

I was stuck awhile too. For some reason it wouldn’t work at first with just hitting record. I had to hit play the first time, because just record wouldn’t capture the notes, and now everything works as you describe.

Anyway, you are nice to be patient to us noobs.

xoxo
    iza

Hey Izabael I am happy you got it to work… and you remind me I did not type “push record and play” in the tutorial which I should have..so we both helped each other 🙂

Also I don’t mind because I was a “Noob” too and I’m still learning everyday… Thanks so much for commenting and do come back often…

24. t says:

Whenever i do this, instead of recording to the piano roll, it only records to the step sequencer. Im confused on why it does this, cause when i use to use FL Studio it never did this! any help?

Hey T ..Thanks for commenting. You will have to send the sampler channel to the “piano roll”. Right click on the channel and scroll over to “Piano Roll”. The piano roll should pop up. When you record you won’t see the notes on the screen until the “bar” stops, then the notes that you played will pop up next to the keys in the piano roll.. Hope this helps, hit me back if not.

26. Nightwolf says:

Hey, is there any way i can record off the testing keyboard?

Hey Nightwolf, thanks for visiting…

I am not sure I understand your question…let me know what you are trying to do, maybe I can help you. I’m not sure what a testing keyboard is.. 🙁

28. LiLRaze says:

Just wanted to say thanks for this tutorial, just started using fl and never knew how to do this but it will be a big help to me!!

Whats up LilRaze…I’m glad you liked it..and I appreciate you leaving a comment…stop back anytime and feel free to ask questions on any of the post..pz til later

30. Nightwolf says:

like, when you Click on an instrument that’s in a channel the Channel settings for that intstrument should pop up. It’s a keyboard the shows up when you click on MISC icon within this setting.

Oh okay.. I see what you mean. That keyboard is used for assigning the file to different octaves on a keyboard or previewing.. I just tried to click on it while recording but nothing happened, so I am assuming no…

another option to make a beat,you can send your file to the piano roll and manually draw in notes with the pencil tool…hope this helps.

32. amit says:

every thig is ok but at one time only one key is working iam unable to play chords on my pc key board

Amit I will check it out and edit this comment with an answer..check back tomorrow morn early..thanks for commenting

34. Saravanan says:

Hi Tris:

I am sorry I am a bit new to this venture. What is meant by LED ? “Right-click the LED to select” I am sorry for being a dumb in using music software and thanks for your patience and assistance?

35. JwK says:

i messed around with it trying to get the keyboard thing to record and now when i press the keys on the keyboard nothing happens and the mouse doesnt work either so im not hearing any sound from my fl studio….i need help plz

36. JwK says:

oh its working now for some reason…

37. Pierre F. says:

first off, thanks a lot for this man it made my FL Studio usage much better (im still a beginner at this) and i want to produce kinda old-Kanye West style beats the ones he did for Jay-Z (pure east coast)…. what instruments would u recommend
    Thanks

Hey Pierre, good question I’ll include your answer in todays post..Thanks for commenting…

Jwk …hey man I’m glad you got it working..let me know if you need any more help..and of course thanks for commenting 🙂

Hey Saravanan, the LED is the where the little orange boxes are..it means: light emitting diode, or a small element that “LiGHTS” up when electricity passes through…
    thanks for commenting and Pz til later..

41. P2X says:

For those who are having difficulty recording more than the the default 4 beats per bar.

Go to Options>MIDI Settings and make sure “Record to Step Sequencer” is ticked off.

After that you’ll be able to record for as long as you like and have every single note recorded.

Thanks Ms.Tris! for the tutorial it helped me out a lot and saves a lot of time when creating melodies etc.!!

Hey P2X..wonderful bit of info you have shared, Thanks for taking time to comment…You are quite welcome…I am having fun with the tutorials and I am glad they are helping..take care…pz til later

43. spencer says:

Hello, i got Fl studio for christmas and i’ve managed to make some pretty cool beats. I really want to record the audio and put it in my itunes library. Is there any way i can do that?..and if so, can you please explain!!??

Yes there is a way. You will need to export the file as Mp3 from Fl Studio when rendering the audio. Save the file in a folder.Then you just load the Mp3 into your Itunes library from the folder where you saved it.

Thanks for commenting Spencer…Have a Safe Happy New Year

45. spencer says:

oh okay thanks!..so i export the file after i record it? Also, im having troubles recording. When i try to record it tells me i need an ASIO driver, however, when i switch to ASIO4All in audio input; it doesnt make any sounds.

46. delf beatz says:

when i click record it says record in edison,playlist,automation & score or everything which one do i pick

Hey Delf Beatz..good question..I have to do this from memory. I chose all and selected don’t ask again. I am not sure the exact terms Fl Studio has in the box because it no longer pops up when I push record. You want to be able to use all the sources if needed. Look for an option that allows all and I think at the bottom of the box you can select” dont show again” or something similar.

@ Spencer..yes after you record export the file to mp3. As for Asio you will need an Asio Soundcard or use the Asio for all..what type of sound card do you have?

49. marko says:

was up man i get all the other stuff … but i had a question … do i need a 5.1 surround sound to record the music! because when i try to record it says something about nothing is in the asio driver???? (i think it the little speakers)?????

Hey Marko…no you don’t need surround 5.1 to record. The Surround has to do with the speakers set up.I’ve had a few questions about ASIO..I will do a post on this tomorrow or Wednesday..check back and the post should help your situation…