Dirty South Fl Studio 8 Tutorial (Feature Article)

Posted by Ms.Tris Beats On May - 29 - 2008

I want to have some fun this evening and do a basic Dirty South Style Beat Tutorial. I’m not doing this to go over the top with all the brass and progressions…. I’m doing a basic beat for tutorial purposes. It may help new producers or anyone whos new to Fl Studio….

I am using Fl Studio version 8. I have saved a template for my default start up containing a kick, hat,snare, and clap. I load that up and make a
basic drum pattern.

I am using a 16/4 Grid because its easier for me to do breaks when I work with 8 bar patterns. In Dirty South Beats you’ll notice the Hi Hats are usually twice the tempo of the actual beat. This can easily be achieved in Fl Studio. I started this tutorial at 143 Bpms, which will sound like 71.5 once we spread the kick and snare as pictured above. I right click the hat channel and select “Fill each 2 steps”, place a kick on the 1, 7, and 13, next I add a snare on 9, and 25 active steps/squares. Next I repeat the same pattern again to fill my 16/4 Grid. Now I have the “overused” basic pattern for a Dirty South Beat…..

I have a foundation for a quick melody line. Here is where I begin to tweak my kick using * NFX’s tip…

I’m not extremely worried about the mix at this point, but I know starting with a great kick is essential in Hip Hop production. I’ve added a little compression using the Fl compressor, and a little reverb to the clap.

basic pattern extended with melody 1

So I have a basic pattern,melody, and my kick is still sounding good. I used the Fl “chorus .wav”, mangled that with fx and added it in as an extra percussion sound.

basic pattern,melody and fx perc

Now it’s time to introduce a new sound so we can add movement to the beat. I loaded up a vst synth, added fx, and made a simple flanged bass line.

basic pattern,melody, fx perc, and fx (flanged) bassline

I add a new sound, and start playing around with a melody for the Hook. I add the new instrument exactly where the hook comes in after 16 bars. It’s nothing fancy, just a catchy tune that’s easy to remember,hum or whistle. I also add some new percussion, and a snare roll. At this point the “foundation” of the beat is solid. I have a rhythm, a melody, a bassline, and a second melody for the hook…

basic pattern,melody, fx perc,fx (flanged) bassline, an idea for the hook

You’ll notice I haven’t quantized or fixed every note perfectly yet. I usually do the fine tuning last, so I can get the ideas out 1st. Now it’s time to arrange the beat, add more percs, add some snare rolls, and add variation to the drums to break the monotony of the rhythm.

I listened to the beat and decided to move the hook idea to the second half of the verses, and I created something new for the Hook. My beat is now 1/2 done…I have my:
basic pattern, main melody, fx perc, fx (flanged) bassline, a second melody, an idea for the hook, and some variation and movement through out the song. I extend the idea to full song length and listen.

Dirty South Beat Before The Final Mix

What do you think? Soldier Boy could rap on it huh.. 🙂
Now it’s time to fine tune my notes in the piano roll, add some sound effects, and Mix the beat to the best of my ability. (If I was sending this to a professional engineer, I would leave the beat as is and export the files so he/she can mix it)
Some people mix inside Fl Studio and get great quality. For years this is what I did, and my mix was just o.k. . After sitting down with a few engineers, I’ve learned that it’s best to mix the beat in software made for mixing. I like tweak a little in Fl Studio, and export each separate track into Sonar for the final mix. I’ll post the final mix soon, and tell how I mixed it.

So there you have it… Fl Studio getting Dirty Dirty…boom ba boom boom — boom bap..Feel free to ask questions or leave comments..
Pz Til Later..and Happy Beat Making

To all the emcees who could spit some fire on this….you know the drill..

Free 2 Download: $00.00

you may distribute up to 1000 copies
on a non-commercial level or
use the beat up to 14 months. This means you can’t sell it or change it.

by downloading you agree you own nada, zero, nary, NO rights to the beat. Right Click to Download

Must give production credit as : Produced by Ms.Tris Beats
Dirty South Tutorial Beat

121 Responses to “Dirty South Fl Studio 8 Tutorial (Feature Article)”

1. OTiZ says:

Check out my myspace page I like what u doin, Ive been using Reason fo some time now and was curious about fruity loops so I got FL8 and right now i just started using it so this was very useful. I am trying to be knowledgable on all production software and DAW software in the market. Ive been using acid 6, reaper, live 6, and other editing software. I want to add FL to my arsenal.

2. mstrismusic says:

Hey,Hey… I am glad you like the site..yeah I’m that way to, I love learning different software and hardware..keep coming back and if there is something specific you need to know about Fl 8 hit me up, if I don’t know the answer, we’ll just find out together.
    I’m headed to your myspace now..Pz Til Later

3. Lucas says:

Nice tutorial!

4. mstrismusic says:

Thanks Lucas..your comment means a lot..stay tuned ..more Fl 8 to come…Pz Til Later

5. myth says:

dude…all the way from south africa, its my pleasure to give props for these goodies…was actually gogglin for something about “tracking out beats on FL”…and alas i fouund more.

enjoy your day

6. MsTris says:

Thanks to you Myth…wow South Africa!~ I am glad you found the site..let me know if there are any more tutorials you’d like to see..and do come back soon..Pz

7. New to production says:

Nice tutorial but what is 16/4 grid?is it like 1/32 quantization?and how do i get familiar results using step edit on the mpc?please help me getting my dirty south drum pattern sounding right

@New To production

In Fl Studio the sample channels are divided into bars and beats like on the mpc. The default is 4 bars 4 beats or 4/4. This means there are 4 beats per bar, and the measure is 4 bars long. I changed mine to 16 bars 4 beats or 16/4 this would be the “Time Signature” on the mpc. Which mpc are you using? This way I can most likely walk you through it….

9. New to production says:

ok i got you..i’m using the mpc3000 & would like to know how to do dirty south(think three 6 mafia) type drum pattern..a tutorial on that would be nice..especially the hi hats…much respect

Look for it Tuesday morning, I may get to it Monday not sure..I have the 2500 so I’m gonna have to look into the 3000 and I will post the tutorial

11. New to production says:

i’ll definitely look out for that one..much respect

one morething(hope i’m not asking too much) i have a jv880 module & a emu proteus keyboard and i’m working on a beat..i have the jv880 playing a (strings)melody & the emu playing the bass…now i’ll like to add some other stuff like synth,piano etc…the problem is everytime i go to another track and change the sound on the jv880 its also changing the sound of the other melody..so if i change to piano the melody will also change to piano..is there a way i can get the mpc to sequence 3 different sounds on 3 differents tracks from the jv880 or any module for that matter?for example i’ll like to have one track playing the strings melody and other track playing piano etc…all from the jv880

thanks for your help

You have the mpc set the right way for midi, because you are recording the Jv880. Now you have to get into the Jv880 midi settings and set up the Jv880. On most midi modules you will have an option to set program change “on ” or “Off”. Try setting this to off and manually change the sounds on the JV880 when you are ready to add a new one. This way the Mpc will not be able to make program changes to the JV880 when you are changing from track to track. Hope this helps..let me know

13. Diesel says:

Where do you get your patches from? Like MIAMI_BASS etc.??

Hey to you Diesel… alot my sounds were purchased from the net, some given to me, some I won in beat battles. The rest I make from scratch by using VST Instrument software….come back later on today I’ll post up some good sites on the home page. The MsTris Mighty Drumkit is used in every beat…

15. new to production says:

this one really help me out alot…what hit u have the ‘ghost’ snares falling on?other than 9 & 25?

16. james says:

hey, i’m just starting out with this fl8, and i don’t kno where to start, so can you show me over on myspace. Plus that beat you made was completely sick, i like what you are doing.

What’ up James..Thanks for stopping by..we can hook up on aim, yahoo, or Google chat. Go to the contact page and email me your aim, yahoo or google name. I’ll be available Wednesday. This way I can give you live help instead of sending emails. Aighty so let me know and we’ll get you up and running

18. Rooky_Beater says:

Hello Ms.Tris and thank you for this tutorial!…I really like what you’re doing, it’s a great help to a newby like mine 🙂

But i have questions about ths part of the tutorial:
    “I loaded a Slayer Generator, and switched the screen to pattern mode. I copied the drum pattern to extend it to 8 bars. I added some Fx to make a unique sound, and I layed down a basic melody to get things started.”
    >which drum pattern had you copied? (the slayer drum pattern after having played your meody? if yes, did you played the melody in 4 bars with 143 bpm? wasn’t that too fast?) Please can you explain more how you did this part?

> What did you mean by ” I layed down the melodyto get things started? I thought layer were used to couple 2 more more instruments and play them simultanously? How did you lay down a basic melody?

Sorry for askng such “simple minded” questions, but I am really a novice in beatmaking and i am trying hard…Somebody told me once “don’t hesitate to ask questions overwise you won’t get answers to your problems”…

Thanks for youre help!

What’s up Rooky_Beater..I don’t mind the questions so it’s cool.

okay let’s start with your 1st question…

“which drum pattern had you copied? (the slayer drum pattern after having played your meody? if yes, did you played the melody in 4 bars with 143 bpm? wasn’t that too fast?) Please can you explain more how you did this part?”

At this point in the tutorial I only had 1 drum pattern. I went to the pattern mode and used the “paint brush” tool to paste the pattern another 3 times. If you look at the picture showing the slayer, you can see that pattern 1 (drums)has 4 squares across, and pattern 2(slayer) shown in the panel above it extends to the same legnth as pattern 1. Pattern 2 is where I played my slayer to the tempo of the drums.

Now about the tempo 143BPM, the tempo is explained in paragraph 3 under the first picture….

“I started this tutorial at 143 Bpms, which will sound like 71.5 once we spread the kick and snare as pictured above.”> I right click the hat channel and select “Fill each 2 steps”, place a kick on the 1, 7, and 13, next I add a snare on 9, and 25 active steps/squares.

So I am actually making the beat at 71.5 and only the hi hats, and snare rolls are at 143..

Next…when I said “layed” down a melody, that’s just a term that means I “played” a basic melody.

I hope this explains it a little more for you..comment again let me know if it helps…pz

20. Rooky_Beater says:

Thanks Ms.Tris!
    I will work with this and come with others questions if i have!

greetings from France…(yeah, your site is viewed in France too…) 😉

Cool @ Rooky_Beater…. That’s awesome you are visiting the site from France. I have a friend that moved to America from France and he is a great musician. He came to me for help, and I winded up getting tips from him. I haven’t talked to him in a little while, and this reminds me to give him a call… let’s see if I can recall ..

Merci pour la lecture, revenue de nouveau 🙂

Thanks for reading, come back again

22. Rooky_Beater says:

really! you have a friend who comes from France? That’s great!
    I hope you can help me to become also a good musician (maybe not great as you, but a good one…) 😉

I am very interrested in learning to loop some good beat and the way to to it! but i’m still at the begining and need a lot of advices in working with samples..song structures (how to build a song…etc

anyway, i will send requests in time if you don’t mind 🙂

I don’t mind helping, we will get you going in the right direction in no time.

and I caught up with Dj Anton yesterday…Here is his artist whos name is “Rookie” what a coincidence Huh? :-)…

DJ Anton did most of the beats there…

So Stay in touch…take care au revoir

24. Rooky_Beater says:

I have checked the Dj Anton’s myspace…if think he is doing very good (i even can’t create a song 🙁 )..

I still haven’t got it yet…I mean i followed all your recommandations, but my Slayer melody is still too fast for the pattern 1 drums! (it’s like the drums are playing in 71.5bmp and my slayer in 143 bpm)…I’ve extended the pattern 2 to the same length as pattern 1, but when I play a melody it stops after the fist 4 bars and copy this 4 bars(only a part of the melody i played) too all the over three 4 bars and as result, i have only a part of the melody i played that is repeating at a very quick bpm (i don’t know if you understand what i mean?).

I forgot to tell you, that i’m working with FL7 (does it make a difference?)

thx and peace

25. Rooky_Beater says:

Sorry i think i got what my problem is: i created several Pattern2 and thought have extended 1 pattern2to the same lenght as pattern1 (my bad!!:( )….I think i don’t kwnow how to do the extension!

sorry for flooding your tutorial page with my posts! (maybe we shall write at Gmail?…i have send you my gmail)

peace

Hey man..it”s o.k. because I’d really like everyone to understand the tutorials. If you must ask questions that’s the only way to learn. We can hook up through gmail… and later today I will make a “Live Chat” type box…that way you can ask me questions Live while you are using Fl Studio. I will ony be available US Eastern Time, up until 6 p.m. Some Mondays, and Fridays. The Main days will be Tues-Thursdays between 10am -6 pm…..

Eventually I may add a forum that way others can help too…..

Today We can work through gmail until I get the chat box up 🙂

27. Rooky_Beater says:

ok….
    I just found out how to extend the pattern! (can breath now 🙂 )

take care!

🙂 I am happy for you…I’ve been working with a screen recorder…this will make tutorials easier for ya…

Now keep making those beats and ask questions if you get stuck…

29. Rooky_Beater says:

yeah!

At the moment, my biggest problem is to get a good melody out of the Slayer! maybe you have a hint for me to do this right?

..From Rooky> At the moment, my biggest problem is to get a good melody out of the Slayer

…..Nice idea for a tutorial :-)… I will post up a slayer tutorial over the weekend… I will email you when I put it up..maybe I will use the screen recorder….

31. Rooky_Beater says:

great…very great!

32. Finn says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. I am also a beginner and so far this is definitely the best tutorial I have seen. Many thanks for this!

What’s good Finn..I appreciate the comment… I am glad you like the tutorial…there willl be more like this soon…come back often..Pz

34. yung los says:

hey ms. tris love that tutorial and the template for the dirty south beat i am goin for that gucci mane type sound like zaythoven his main producer i have been workin hard on my style and i could use some tips on how to get it down i got a beat on my page check it out when you get some time and you can send me a message on my email anytime you think you have something i could use tips and resources i would greatly appreciate it i got alot of answers cuz i got some connections wit some hometown rappers and got some great beats but want to get some tips on gettin that swag feel thats what i’m really goin for on my style chill swag type music but yet a crunk fast paced feel holla at me on my yahoo though i got alot to ask

What’s up Yung Los.. I will surely check you out. Thanks for commenting. I have the email addy, and we can get up on aim sometime this week… I am so contemplating a forum or some sort of chat box for live help… til then be sure to subscribe by email or rss..and I will hit you with an email so we can get those questions answered.
    Stay up…pz til later..

36. rail says:

s******* its wicked

37. young CCG says:

What’s up mstris i love this dirty south beat is there any way you can teach me more about this type of genre cuz im really a big fan of dirty south beats

Hey Hey to you Young CCG…yes of course, I will be adding more Dirty South tutorials very soon.. any specific things you like to know? You can send an email through the contact page,catch me online for live help, or leave suggestions right here and I’ll be on it!~

Thanks for coming through… stop back because I update often …

39. Tj says:

How do i set my grid to 16/4 thanks

Hey Tj you go to “options” then down to “project general settings” then change bar to “16” and leave the beat at ” 4″…Thanks for taking time to ask questions through comments…pz til later

41. BkynKing says:

heyy Ms Tris i liked that beat u made sounds madd hott..am new to using Fl Studio..and am tryin to make Dirty South/Crunk Kinda Music..You Think u can give me some tips or pointerz or at least a tutorial..i would realli appericate it..where do i begin l0l..?

What’s good with you BkynKing!~ Great idea for a tutorial..thanks for commenting… check back tomorrow or Thursday morning and I’ll get you started…

43. BkynKing says:

thnx ms tris..cuz i know you got madd skillz in beat making and you da only person that be having that..so i’ll check in 2morow or da next day..thnx.. much love..

44. BklynKing says:

oh i forgot to ask..what kind of tutorial is it goin to be..the same one you gave here or another kind of tutorial..thnx..

@BklynKing I ‘m glad you came back..I was going to a very basic beginner tutorial..starting at step one..what would you like to know maybe this help me help you better??

46. BklynKing says:

like what do you start off with by making a dirty south beat..what i like to make or know?..how to make them hot snare rollz,maybe throw in a 808 kick,synths,hihatz,melody,hook,verse,..you know the rest l0l..i know i wrote alot..my bad..l0l..i just like that type of music..hit me back..

@BklynKing ok I got you, this tutorial really helps you get started in what you just requested. I’m going to link you to the Reason Snare roll tutorial which works the same for Fl Studio 8, you’ll just load a snare into the sampler channel and go to the Fl Studio piano roll…
    Snare Rolls Reason 3.0 also there is an 808 snare to download at the bottom or the post..(right click to download)

Also I’ll post up a few tutorials I found on youtube..from there if you need live help we can set something up next week…I want you to succeed and get those beats banging 🙂

48. BklynKing says:

once again ms tris thank you for everything..i mean i wanna be good in this type of music and i thank you l0l..thnx and i’ll keep an eye out for them tutorialz..and if i make a good beat i’ll post on youtube to see if it came out good..thnx..,much love from NYC..!!

@BklynKing it’s cool I started just where you are too..and again asking questions helps me help you..that’s what my site is all about. Thanks much for commenting and coming back..p.s I posted up some new Fl Studio info this morning..check the home page..stay up and pz til later…NyC in the buildin! nice

50. BklynKing says:

heyy ms tris are you going to make anymore dirty south tutorials..cuz thnx to those snare rollz you posted..my beat came out good l0l..so am wondering when you is goin to post some more tutorials like these..thnx..much love..